Katherine has been in the design industry for over 20 years, starting as a lighting specialist then working for a high-end custom home builder where her love for quality workmanship and timeless design was cultivated. She then began working for commercial property owners, managing all aspects of tenant improvements including needs assessments, floor plans & specifications, budgeting, quoting, trade selection & project management.
As a Registered Interior Designer, Katherine is continually updating her knowledge base. Nine years ago she took a Feng Shui course at the recommendation of a trusted advisor – little did she know that it would change her life forever. Classical Feng Shui wove in perfectly with her love for Interior Design and Sustainability, and has taken her practice to a deeper level. It was clear that her 3 passions should come together in ‘Be the Change Design Group’ (BCDG), where spaces are more than beautiful and efficient, they actually vibrate at a higher frequency, fostering a sense of happiness, fulfillment, well-being and peace.
- [1:40] What makes Be The Design Group different?
- Good design goes a long way to enhance the functionality, feel and energy of a space.
- [3:27] Sustainability considers the entire lifecycle of a product or process to ensure that it is regenerating, not depleting.
- [4:30] Individuals and businesses, need to take responsibility for our choices and actions. There is already so much information about the impacts that we, humanity, has had on the earth. Our quality of life depends on a healthy planet, and we need to ask better questions to get better results. The questions should not just be about how much money can be made from a product or how the shareholders will benefit – they should include ‘how can we make the world a better place’.
- [4:50] How can you help in this regard?
- Educate my clients to make better choices and make recommendations based on the filter questions that we agree upon together.
- [5:35] What is off-gassing?
- Off-gassing is when all the chemicals made in a product come out.
- [6:24] Is Sustainability in Design becoming a new trend?
- It is not a new trend as professionals have been on track for many years, but with news releases stating the urgency of the situation, the impacts of climate change, I believe we all need to take things to the next level. That is what ‘Being the Change’ is about – it is up to each of us to do our part.
- [9:00] What three things would you tell someone to look for when hiring a Designer?
- What is their approach? Find out if you align to their company policies and procedures.
- How long have they been in business, what is their training, are they insured and what are their specialties?
- Samples from their body of work & references.
Contact Katherine Willems