Marci Deane sits down with Shawn Anderson, a Home Inspector with The Inspector Home Inspection & Consulting Services. Shawn talks about the importance of home inspections, and how they can identify critical issues with a home or condo before you buy it.
Is it important to get a home inspection on a new house?
- It’s critical; deficiencies can be found even in new homes.
- Most flaws are cosmetic.
- Cosmetic deficiencies might be an indicator of more serious issues.
Advice for buyers
- Once you’re interested in a property, call an inspector.
- Don’t go in with a “clean offer”. Unseen structural issues can cost you tens of thousands of dollars.
- If you’re going to do anything, get a home inspection.
- Use a realtor; they have the expertise needed to sell a property correctly.
Trends in North Vancouver
- Pre and post inspections are still common.
- You have to disclose any issues with a property.
- More common to see private home sales.
Why get a home inspection of a strata?
- The estoppel certificate doesn’t identify any issues with the suite.
- Depreciation reports rely on statistical averages. Interpretation is needed to know what you’re getting into.
How to become an inspector
- On September 1st 2016, the rules are changing.
- The new requirements for BC home inspectors.
- Get experience in the trades.
What to look for in a home inspector
- Do your research on the company. Make sure their employees are properly trained.
- Ask for referrals.